Although this is a simple question but has a complicated answer. Recently, a poll was taken by coalition group pushing for levy in England. The poll suggested that three-fourths of people who were asked would cut down on the usage of single use plastic bags if there was a charge levied by the Government.
People who are for levying the tax say:
- It cuts down the litter and waste from streets, countryside and beaches substantially.
- Last year 8bn plastic bags were used, and only 6% were recycled, contributing further to waste
- Plastic bags are made from petroleum derivatives thus further straining our limited natural resources
- The tax helps in funding local and community projects
- In Wales, where the charge of 5p was introduced more than a year ago, the consumption of single use plastic bags have reduced by 96%.
People who are opposed to the tax say:
- It is better to voluntarily curb the usage than levy yet another tax
- There is little to no cost effective alternative for the retailers and supermarkets
- It puts the burden on common households as the costs by the retailers are embedded in the prices of goods
Wales on the other hand has levied a charge of 5p for over a year and found it to be a ‘resounding success” as per John Griffiths, environment minister for Wales. Given Wales’ success, would England be soon to follow?
Wholesale Carrier Bags is a leading supplier of carrier bags in UK. We specialize in paper bags, gift bags, wine or bottle bags, luxury or laminated bags, cotton bags, jute bags, organza pouches and other shopping bags. Our UK based website at Wholesale Carrier Bags is a leading online ecommerce website offering inexpensive paper carrier bags at very economical and affordable prices.